Thursday 13 March 2014

Shanks



Something terrible has happened to my golf.  I have somehow forgotten how to hit the ball straight.

When I say I have forgotten how to hit the ball straight, it doesn’t mean the ball always went straight before, but now it never does and I have developed what is known the world of golf as a shank.

Essentially, what happens is this: I line up the ball as usual and then slice it wildly off to the right.

How did it happen?

Just a week ago, I carded a lifetime equalling best 59 on the Thornbury Par 3, playing some of the best golf of my life.  This week I have run up two 80+ scores and a 91.  It has been soul-destroying.

The harder I worked to correct the defect – and I had no idea what the defect was – the worse it got.  I even paid £7.50 at the Hambrook Driving range where I managed to shank the best part of 100 balls.

I think I may need help from the man who got me playing in the first place.

In the meantime, I have been ploughing through endless videos on You Tube and I have a very good idea of what’s happened.

Whether I can put it right without referring myself to a good coach remains to be seen.

I have not hit a green once in 54 holes which shows the gravity, in golf terms, of the mess I am in at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.