Monday 14 July 2014

Cheryl Cole marries Mr Hunk. Who cares?

Good grief - the nation's sweetheart has got married!

No, not Vera Lynn: Cheryl Cole!

Now I don't know a lot about Ms Cole.  I know she was in the all girl pop group Girls Aloud who made one truly great song, The Promise, and had a much longer and more lucrative career than their minimal talents deserved.

And I know she was a judge on the X Factor which is a TV karaoke  show and probably had less talent than most of the contestants.

I know that she is called Cole because she married England's one truly world class player of the last decade.

I cannot pretend to know the details of how their marriage failed.  I know I could by a simple 'google', as we computer experts call it, but I can't be bothered.

And I know she is very beautiful because the Daily Mail and Sun say so.  It must be true.

So in essence, she's famous for being someone who can't sing, but looks good and judges the talent of others.  Good.  I'm glad we made that clear.

But now she has married, apparently to a playboy hunk (at least we know his occupation).  And the media is fascinated.

I am not saying that the news should be solely the doom and gloom of the endless middle east wars, or perhaps the genocide in Syria, but who the hell is interested in Cheryl Bleeding Hunk (I am guessing she has taken his surname)?

I suppose compared to Katy Price, our Cheryl is multi-talented, but then many thousands of young girls - how sad is that? - turned up at  the Mall at Cribbs Causeway for the woman formerly known as Jordan sign a book that she had not even written?  Is this really the best role model we have, a woman with massive plastic breasts and no discernible talent?

At least Cheryl has a nice smile as well as an impenetrable Geordie accent.  The nation has fallen for her.

We seem to be obsessed with the culture of celebrity, even when most of those who are called celebrities have no right to be called celebrities!

I shouldn't pick her out.  We have always worshipped people who can't really do anything and some have turned out to be Jimmy Savile.

Perhaps we need some kind of escapism from our miserable little lives and the fairy tale celebrity existence takes us away from it for a short while.

Or maybe we just need to get out more and recognise real talent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.