Sunday 20 July 2014

I wish there was a hell for the perpetrators of MH17 to go to

You can see the bodies from flight MH17 if you want to.  They're on the internet in all the usual places.  Some of the bodies look recognisable to me, not that I recognise them, but someone might.

I am not one of those people who trawled the internet to see a video of Ken Bigley being beheaded in Iraq, nor am I especially keen on seeing adulterers being stoned to death in primitive, backward countries and I don't want to see the innocent victims of mass murder with their privacy, in death, grossly violated.

Curiosity has got the better of me before, but I have quickly remembered that it was voyeurism of the lowest order.

There were children who died in the Ukraine and the books they were reading and the fluffy toys they were cuddling were there for all to see.  You can't tell me that there wasn't someone, a family member, a friend, who might recognise the identity of the child thanks to to the clues?

I found the charred remains of the Boeing 777 upsetting enough, not to mention the aircraft parts scattered for miles around.  And then stories of innocent Ukrainians having bodies crashing through their ceilings.

Generally, the media has been on the right side of good taste, although predictably The Sun brought back echoes of Hillsborough yesterday with reports that the bodies were being pick-pocketed, that there was looting of the crime scene.  I don't know if this is true - I never know if anything, other than its desperate right wing bias, is true in The Sun - but I wouldn't be surprised.  That ordinary people were able to walk through the wreckage and parts of the plane were guarded by as few as one guard and others guarded by no one at all suggests this most pernicious of newspapers may have been onto something. 

The disaster remains shocking, perhaps even more so in the passage of time when we come to see the victims as real people and not numbers.

I do not believe in capital punishment, even for the perpetrators of this evil, wicked act, but sometimes I wish there was a hell for them to go to.

In the meantime, we must wait for the civilised wheels of justice to start turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.